Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fall Leaf Happy Birthday....

Good Saturday morning to all my crafty friends! I have a card to share with you today that I made for my sweet hubby. His birthday is next week. He is a huge fisherman,but I've made him so many fish cards, I thought I would try something different.
  I've been seeing a cool technique lately where you die cut a space in your card stock and then take the actual shape or one cut from a contrasting color and place it back in the cut space. I'm not sure if this technique has a name, but I think I'll refer to it as an 'engaged' die cut. This term is used in architecture meaning something that is partially attached,such as a column that sticks out,but is attached to a wall.

See the neat effect you get? This technique would be awesome for backgrounds and wouldn't some beautiful patterned papers be stunning set into a plain card stock? The dies I've used here are from Spellbinders Autumn Leaves set,the orange oak leaf is from the Assorted Leaves set.
I simply aligned the dies to the card front and taped them in place to be run through my Grand Calibur machine. I skipped the embossing step because I wanted the card front to be smooth. After die cutting and embossing the leaves, I turned the card over backside up and placed them back in the corresponding spaces and used tape to hold them in place. I cut an extra piece of kraft card stock slightly smaller than the card and adhered it to the back part of the front,just to hide all the tape and give it a finished look. I die cut a banner and stamped a birthday sentiment from JustRite Papercraft's set, Premium Labels Clear stamps. After adhering it with foam tape, I added a twine bow and button to finish it.
I really like this look and will be experimenting with it to see the different looks I can get. I hope you will too!
Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great weekend! I'll be back on Monday with a new challenge from The Kraft Journal. See you then!

7 comments:

  1. Love the contrast on this one...I will definitely have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is such a fun technique! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love the fun technique on your card! The embossed colorful leaves are so pretty! I must give this technique a try some time! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your "engaged" leaves! The rich fall colors are just gorgeous on the kraft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your beautiful leaves, Kristi!! Beautiful colours that go so nicely with the craft!! Lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is a neat effect! I bet your hubby liked the card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning!! I love the technique and colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...